01 02 03 Work It Ms. Jackson: Savannah Bridge Run Race Recap 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Savannah Bridge Run Race Recap

34
First, I just want to say this post is entirely overdue! Like ridiculously overdue, but since I've actually had a few people ask me about it. I figured they deserved more than a, "It was great!"


I would like to start out by saying the Savannah Bridge Run was my first ever 5K and I was a little over-the-top prepared....and early, so a huge kudos needs to go out to TJ for agreeing to run this race with me after working all night and then sitting with me waiting for forever for the race to start, Beth who came out to the race to watch my kids and wait for us and cheer us on near the finish line, and for my kids for having to wake up way too early.

To say I was pumped about the race was a gross understatement. Even though I had slacked for a while before this race, I wasn't at all nervous and was so excited. The night before the race, I had everything in the car and ready to go that needed to be: race inf and bibs, a change of clothes for TJ, and stuff for the kids when Beth took over. I had my clothes out and ready and I went to bed early.

I picked TJ up from work the next morning, and we were off to meet Beth downtown. Once we found Beth, we gave her everything I packed for the kids (you probably would have thought she was watching them all day, not 2 hours). We then walked the few blocks to the Savannah Civic Center. The Bridge Run had two areas for parking. One was across the bridge at the Convention Center and the other suggested area was a parking deck on the downtown side. The rebels that we are chose neither and parked on a side street close to the Civic Center where the race was finishing. If you parked on the downtown side (where we parked) they had trolleys that would take you over the bridge to the Convention Center where the 5K started. After saying goodbye to Beth and the kids, we hopped on trolley and headed over.




We were literally on the first trolley over. My need to be early is kind of ridiculous. Sometimes, I can't help it. We arrive at the Convention Center and have nothing to do for almost 2 hours. So we find a spot inside, and we sit. And we took pictures.

Of ourselves.



Of our game face!




Of the man that is about to run 3.1 miles in heels! He rocked my world...and those heels! LOL!!!



Finally the time came to make our way to the start line. We knew this was a big race but it really helps put it in perspective when you're at the start line and see all the people there. Here's everyone in front of us. And we were a little close to the front.


And now it's time to race! The have separated the runners and the walkers by the divide in the road which I think is great and was probably a huge help to the runners. It took us a few minutes before we actually were able to cross the start line, and then we were off making our way to the bridge. It was once we we were going up on the bridge that I needed to slow down and take a few walk breaks. Most All of the runs I had down before the race were on flat ground, so this hill they call the Talmedge Bridge wasn't easy. I did better going up than I thought, thanks to TJ and his constant pushing me to keep running but I still needed the walk breaks. It was when we were almost to the top (and I was on one my last walk breaks on the bridge) that I snapped a few pictures. It was a gorgeous day outside and despite that fact that we were on the side of the bridge that was closer to the ports, the view was spectacular! It was halfway up the bridge that I had already made my decision about making this a race a yearly tradition.


Once we got to the top, and I was done with my camera phone pictures, that we began the run down the bridge. The hardest part was over! I know it's a downward hill but this was the easiest part of my run and I was impressed with how controlled I kept myself, rather than wanting to run as fast as I could down it. I knew I would need to save some energy for the bottom of the bridge.





Once reaching the bottom of the bridge, you have to make a loop and go under it. Looking at everyone behind was truly incredible. There were so many people out here running. It's pretty inspiring!



Once crossing underneath the bridge, I knew we just had to make across one major intersection and we would see Beth and the kids soon. I took one last walk break and then TJ and decided we running the rest of the way.

The excitement on their face was priceless and just seeing them cheering us on was the motivation I needed to push it that last little bit. We rounded the corner to the finish and then grabbed hands and ran the last 10th of mile crossing the finish line hand in hand at 37:01.79



We went straight to the water table and then met up with Beth and the kids. They were so happy to see us and Dylan said he wants to run with us next year! No problem! We can make it a family event. Dylan talked about all the people in costumes that he saw and how fast some them were running. We stayed and listened to music and for them to announce the winners.

And by that point TJ was getting tired. He had worked all night, then went straight downtown to run a 5K. He was ready to go home and sleep, so we didn't stay long enough to hear the results of the costume contest but here are some of the people in costume we saw





Have you ever run a bridge run? How was it?

Labels: , , , ,

35 36 37 38