01 02 03 Work It Ms. Jackson: My First Tempo Run 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

My First Tempo Run

34
Happy Thursday! We're more than halfway through the week! Yay!

This morning I woke with no desire to run whatsoever! Jordyn woke up a little over an hour before my alarm was supposed to go off and all she wanted was some mommy time. We snuggled and about 30 minutes later she was back to sleep. I also fall back asleep but when that alarm went off at 5:30 I did not want to get back up.

As you can see from the title of this post, I did get up and I did run. This morning's run was my first ever tempo run. Even now, several hours later, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I have been doing some reading and research about tempo runs for the last few days. Everywhere I have read, has said you need to run your temp runs at a pace that is 20-30 seconds slower than your 5K pace. My 5K pace is currently my normal pace so it's a slow run but at a normal distance for me.



Take my run this morning. I normally run 3-4 miles at a pace around 10:45 (sometimes I get closer to 10:30 and that makes me super happy), so after researching I calculated that I needed my tempo run to be at a pace of 11:00-11:15, which should only have been 2 of my 4 miles this morning. The first and last miles were supposed to be warm-up. I followed this the way I thought I should but I can't help but wonder how running slower is supposed to make me run faster later. I think I'm confused since the harder 2 miles is definitely shorter than what I've been doing, so I felt like I should be pushing myself more.

Honestly, I have no idea and am still lost, but hey, I got my run and I'm pumped about that. I just need to figure this tempo run thing so I can know for sure that the next one is right.

Anyone have advice, tips or knowledge on tempo runs? I'd love to hear what you have and your experience on tempo runs.

Labels: ,

35 36 37 38